Severe allergy to fur and feathers

Search

Severe allergy to fur and feathers

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2024, 02:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Directory of non-pet hotels

I'm new to Fodor's. I have a severe allergy to fur and feathers. My husband and I are traveling to the San Antonio, TX area the end of May 2024.
I'm having a hard time finding hotels that do not allow pets.
Does anyone know of a hotel website that prohibits animals?
When we travel, I have to contact every hotel in the area to determine if they have a no pet policy.
I find that some Marriott Courtyard properties are pet free, but allow some service animals.
If anyone knows of a website that lists pet-free hotel properties it will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by lilgeneral6547; May 8th, 2024 at 02:16 AM. Reason: INCORRECT TITLE
Old May 8th, 2024, 05:13 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Can't help, but I feel your pain. Can't stand the pet-friendly hotel trend.
Old May 8th, 2024, 06:01 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lilgeneral6547
If anyone knows of a website that lists pet-free hotel properties it will be greatly appreciated.
Here's one:
https://petfreehotels.com/

I'd verify with the hotel itself just to be sure. We also prefer pet-free rooms.
Old May 8th, 2024, 06:18 AM

I like smoke-free rooms but it seems like guests go ahead and smoke anyway.
Old May 8th, 2024, 06:32 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
And some people bring pets into pet-free rooms of pet friendly hotels. Sadly, lots of people don't think the rules apply to them.
Old May 8th, 2024, 08:50 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You don't have to contact every hotel individually. Use an overview website like hotels dot com or booking dot com where you can check your preferences.
Old May 8th, 2024, 05:04 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to Fodors: ". . . but allow some service animals."

There are many 'pet free' properties, but
I know of no hotel anywhere in the US that prohibits legitimate service animals. It would against ADA rules. Service animals are mandated by law.
Old May 9th, 2024, 09:04 AM

I think Janis is probably right, I think hotels generally must take service animals, at last in the US. Ideally, that wouldn't happen too often. This is very difficult if you have such a severe allergy you can't even be in the same building, even two floors away. Although I doubt that could be true or you couldn't do anything in life. People take service animals sometimes to stores, for example, and may have been there before you. Presumably, except for the fake service animals who don't do anything crucial (and I've seen some of those), people with dogs are kept on separate floors. The most outrageous thing I've seen (as I hate dogs in hotels, also, not due to allergies but because they bark -- always), was a hotel in Quebec city I was considering who told me they allow dogs in any room in the hotel and there was no way to guarantee the room wouldn't have had a dog just in it. I havenever heard of a hotel doing that, actually.

Some cities are worse than others, and San Antonio may be one that all hotels generally allow dogs, unfortunately. I don't usually contact hotels as their website should clearly state if they allow pets or not. That's what I check. I narrow my hotels down to maybe 3, check pet policy on their website. I only call if unclear or if I want to know if they are kept in a separate part of the hotel. Sometimes I call on that if my best option is a hotel that allows dogs.

Last edited by Christina; May 9th, 2024 at 09:08 AM.
Old May 9th, 2024, 09:31 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Sure, definitely call your finalist you are considering and confirm their policies. Talk to someone in person if you can get to the front desk. I was only meaning there is no need to "contact every hotel in the area" individually when you can easily find this out online with a lot less effort.

Welcome to Fodor's! Good luck in your search.
Old May 13th, 2024, 04:41 AM

You might reduce your exposure to animal hair and dander by bringing your own pillow and linens so you are not sleeping directly on those allergens. All public spaces may have had exposure to animals.
Old May 13th, 2024, 10:54 AM

I might use booking as a starter point but find it less than accurate on this issue. I usually have an idea where I want to stay and bring up that location on Google maps and then use the nearby option to find hotels. Then I check websites of the few I like best. I'll admit I have never been in a nonsmoking hotel room, which is most of them, where I smelled smoke, unlike Prairiehiker. I have been in hotels with barking dogs which people left alone even though hotel forbids it. More than once. The hotel doesn't do anything when you complain. What can they do, after all. Once this went on for hours and the hotel said the owners left the dog there while they went out for the evening and wouldn't answer the hotel's phone calls.
Old May 13th, 2024, 12:18 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by lilgeneral6547
I find that some Marriott Courtyard properties are pet free, but allow some service animals.
Every hotel in the country allows service animals.
It's the law.