Search

"Doing" Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2024, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Both airports are small, airports and car rentals shut down overnight. If you fly into Hilo, there are at least hotels and taxis nearby (it isn't that far from the center of town, I even think there might be a bus). KOA isn't close to any lodgings.

For that reason I'd fly into ITO, maybe do a one-way if the drop fee isn't too bad. When I went just post-lockdown for Hawaii (they were very strict) it was easier to rent cars in ITO, and also less expensive. But that may have changed.

I have never Turo'd and I don't know if it really is cheaper by the time you add in insurance and other things. When I rent with a real car company I have an Amex card that is $19 for my entire rental period (not daily).
Old Apr 18th, 2024, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Having booked apts in Maui and Waikiki, I thought I had this Hawaii thing down. Now looking at the Big Island, the rentals are pretty trashy, look physically in bad shape, toilets outside, comments about roosters and roaches, AC is rare, and this is for the same price point as the other islands. (Car rental is also a lot higher here.) I guess I will have to up it to $300/night for something decent. Also it's not like Maui with endless beaches and rows of condos facing them. Most everything is "perched" somehow, on higher ground with barely a view of the water and no possible pedestrian beach access.
Old Apr 19th, 2024, 06:44 AM

Toilets outside? Where are you looking?

We often stay at the Fairway Villas in Waikoloa Beach area. I don’t care much for Kailua Kona.

The topography is very different from Maui. I prefer the BI, but there really aren’t any beachfront condos. The waterfront condos are mostly in Kona but they are on lava rock overlooking the ocean. The sandy beaches are mostly north of the airport.
Old Apr 19th, 2024, 08:53 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
What's wrong with roosters? That's kind of a given in many place. Roaches... not so much!

I'm also curious to hear more about these outdoor bathrooms. Can honestly say I've never once read that complaint about Big Island -lol.
Old Apr 19th, 2024, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

I upped the price to $250 (after all the onerous taxes and fees, a lot of the rental agent companies also add on a $150 fee pretty standard, on VRBO) and am finding more selection. One thing the BI has a lot more of is kitchenless rentals, for cottages residents build on their home property. Fine if you don't want a kitchen but would probably stay at a hotel in that case. Another caveat is that there are a lot of tract developments 45 minutes or more from anything, especially south of Hilo, to be wary of.

Can't find the one with the loo and shower out back, it did have running water though.

Note about cars: Sixt @ KOA has the best prices, but they close at 6 pm and are quite offsite (behind the Costco), so maybe a long wait at the airport for a late flight if choosing Sixt. Maybe there's good food at KOA?
Old Apr 19th, 2024, 10:34 AM

I can usually find lower rates booking through a local property management company. I use Kona Coast Vacation Rentals.

I book a car through Costco and keep checking rates until we leave because it’s refundable.
Old Apr 20th, 2024, 01:34 PM

In Hilo look at Dolphin Bay Hotel. They have kitchens. No pool, standard room is $149 + tax (under $200 total) if you stay 2 or more nights. No resort or parking fee. They have free papayas. tea/coffee and banana bread in the morning. IIRC you also get coffee for the room but maybe you need to bring a few Mr Coffee filters. No pool. They do not have A/C but when I was there in December the ceiling fan was enough. The windows allow for cross-ventilation. Indoor plumbing and big showers, and a resident cat.
  1. 32" Flat Screen TV
  2. Garden
  3. Concierge
  4. WiFi Internet
  5. Free WiFi in Public Lounge
  6. BBQ Area
  7. Tour Desk
  8. Street parking
  9. Full Kitchen
  10. Guest Laundry
  11. Internet Access
  12. Free Parking.

Last edited by mlgb; Apr 20th, 2024 at 01:38 PM.