Airfare to Greece vs. Turkey

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2024, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have an answer to this question? If I wanted to fly RT to Istanbul from NYC on Turkish airlines, the airfare is over $1000. If I put it in a flight to Thessaloniki , Greece, it would go to Istanbul first and people would have to change planes and backtrack to Greece. That RT flight is about $775. Same plane , same time to Istanbul. The only difference is the second leg of the trip. How does that make sense?
Old Mar 6th, 2024, 05:33 PM

It depends on the routes and what the airlines can get for those routes. Whether you are going through a hub or not.
Old Mar 6th, 2024, 05:37 PM

Lon-distance international flights on Turkish Air are miserable. The seats are so close together my knees were touching the seat in front of me the whole time.
Old Mar 6th, 2024, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Debbielynn
. Same plane , same time to Istanbul. The only difference is the second leg of the trip. How does that make sense?
It's like asking why anything is priced like it is. Why are travel packs of Kleenex more than a large box?

People pay extra for a direct flight. If you're connecting the airline is competing with all the other connections. They basically need to pay you .

I'd also point out from the airlines point of view that seat on the connecting flight costs zero: The plane is going with or without you.
Old Mar 6th, 2024, 08:47 PM
mjs

You must not fly much. Fares like this are quite common and are called hidden city ticketing.
Old Mar 7th, 2024, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Any other experiences on Turkish airline?
Old Mar 8th, 2024, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by Debbielynn
Any other experiences on Turkish airline?
Things may have changed, they may have re-configured seats, etc., but a few years before Covid, we nabbed a cheap RT on Turkish Airlines from DC to Istanbul. It was one of the best flights we have ever had, with roomier seats, great service and quite good food (for airline food) and very, very clean. So, based on that one excellent experience, we would certainly take them for an international flight.
Booking, for some reason, was not the easiest at that time. I couldn’t make the booking go through online and there were extra charges for their help. They did waive the charge when they understood the situation, but it was annoying.
Old Mar 9th, 2024, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Sassafras. We already booked Lufthansa through Munich yesterday. Got a good rate.
Old Mar 18th, 2024, 04:23 AM

THY is a company in Turkey with a reputation for poor service/high prices.