What food can we take to Costa Rica?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2024, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to take some gluten free crackers, homemade gluten free muffins, gluten free bread and cheese to Costa Rica. Does anyone know if this is allowed? Having trouble finding out exactly what the restrictions are. Thanks,
Old Jan 6th, 2024, 02:52 PM

I know you can't bring plants, vegetables, fruits, seeds, etc. but seems to me like your list should be okay. Doesn't cheese need to be refrigerated though? For anything prepackaged, it's probably best to leave it sealed until your reach your destination.
Old Jan 6th, 2024, 07:32 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I only know going into Mexico (no CR experience) and packaged crackers would be OK. It's the home-made things and fresh dairy I was not so sure about?

Although the rules online only mention a specific no fresh fruits, vegetables, seeds, meat, etc.
Old Jan 8th, 2024, 06:16 AM

Any commercially prepackaged products should be fine. As volcanogirl says, leave them sealed until after you arrive. I have my doubts about homemade baked goods being allowed.

All bags are x-rayed at customs coming in. They'll see what's inside.
Old Jan 8th, 2024, 07:36 AM

I don't know that there is an official list. It's typically fresh and raw items including seeds that inspectors don't like. Sometimes dairy, sometimes meat (but can often allow cured and packaged). I assume you've tried asking on TripAdvisor.

Some countries do restrict dairy but I don't know about Costa Rica. It's been too long for my experience to matter and what other countries do is irrelevant. Often it really depends on whether an official is having a bad day.

Last edited by mlgb; Jan 8th, 2024 at 07:55 AM.
Old Jan 8th, 2024, 11:03 AM

They kind of freaked out on me when they X-rayed my bag and thought I had an avocado in there. Turned out it was a pair of nubby black high heeled shoes.
Old Jan 8th, 2024, 02:06 PM

LOL volcanogirl!
Old Jan 8th, 2024, 02:53 PM
P_M

Volcanogirl, back in the 80s I wore contacts but I always kept a pair of glasses in my purse. Back then we all wore big, roundish plastic frames. Every time I went through security my bag got searched and I never knew why. One day I was going through security and the agent asked if I had a pair of handcuffs in my purse. I had no idea what she was talking about until she pulled out my 80s style glasses.

Last edited by P_M; Jan 8th, 2024 at 03:00 PM.
Old Jan 10th, 2024, 11:16 AM

Too funny PM!
Old Jan 12th, 2024, 09:13 AM

Food into C. R.

Originally Posted by donna2152
I would like to take some gluten free crackers, homemade gluten free muffins, gluten free bread and cheese to Costa Rica. Does anyone know if this is allowed? Having trouble finding out exactly what the restrictions are. Thanks,
. DONNA go to Auto Mercado in Costa Rica many of them here they have a good Selection of Cluten FREE Stuff.. And very Good Real Germán Foods.. Its Spendy but Worth it for me.
Old Jan 13th, 2024, 01:42 PM

can be durable products.