Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on these London lodging options for 4 adults/1 teen?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2023, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone, thank you all for help on an earlier thread to plan an itinerary between London and Liverpool. It looks like we will arrive in London on Saturday 23 March and depart for Liverpool via train on Friday 29 March. I've done lots of research for lodging for my husband and me, our 13 year old daughter and my in-laws in their late 60s. My MIL gets around on a small motorized scooter which she will bring with her. She usually parks it outside of shops here and walks in, so she's not completely immobile, it's just hard for her to do lots of walking. Her bedroom at home is on the 2nd floor (American - one up from ground) so we are ok with her doing 1 flight of stairs but a lift is easier. Also, would prefer someplace where she can easily get the scooter in and out the front door, and would prefer to be near an accessible tube station or one that has escalators (scooter is small enough for her to stand and we can hold it while going up/down the escalator). Want to be central, with nearby grocery, cafes, etc. but not loud/crowded (no loud nightlife). MIL may want to go back and rest during the day so staying farther out would be cumbersome. So far the only definite sites are these: Tower of London, Westminster Abbey, Churchill War Rooms, Nat'l Portrait Gallery, day trip to Windsor. And my daughter wants to shop and do a tea. Whew!

So here's what I've narrowed it down to. Would love any feedback if you've stayed in these properties and/or have thoughts about how well they align to our needs. There is a pretty large price range here, we are flexible to a degree.

1. Premier Inn County Hall: location looks great, however it appears that MIL would need to go in a back entrance to access lifts which may be challenging? Great price, would prefer kitchenette but for the price can make it work without. 2nd Premier Inn option is Holborn based on location, and it looks modern online with easy scooter access into/through the lobby. I was trying to reserve a Premier Plus room for my in-laws since MIL will likely spend time more time in the room and they look a little more comfortable, but only basic rooms came up as options on our dates.
2. Holiday Inn Express Southwark: in-laws collect IHG points so I looked for one of their properties. Looks similar to Premier Inn but costs a little more. I guess that's the tradeoff for their points. Southwark tube seems scooter-friendly.
3. Suites at St Pancras: like the idea of kitchenettes, this is a bit farther north but King's Cross seems scooter-friendly. Pricing almost double the Premier Inn - need to think about whether the kitchenette/furnishings/space is worth it.
4. Resident at Soho: also has kitchenettes, looks central but reviews say quiet, which is nice. Tottenham tube seems scooter-friendly. Pricing a little more than #3 above, but better location (I think?)
5. Ivy Lettings Home - Queensdale Place: this is also a bit farther out, by Holland Park, but gives us more space. It's the priciest, but the space may be worth it. It's very hard to find rental properties with the main bedroom on the ground floor, or only 1 floor up. I searched about 10 agencies, AirBNB, VRBO, etc. Holland Park is nearest tube, and the web says they have a lift but there are some stairs to reach it, so not sure about scooter-friendliness.
Old Sep 8th, 2023, 10:57 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Haven't read the whole post since I have an appointment in a coupe of minutes -- but just very quick and based on transport needs and apparent disability issues I'd personally pick #3 or #4 (BTW -- It is Tottenham Court Road station - Tottenham is a TOTALLY different place).

St Pancras/Kings Cross are pretty good accessibility wise and Tottenham Court Rd station is essentially brand new with arrival of the Elizabeth Line.

I'll read the full post later . . .
Old Sep 8th, 2023, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much janisj, and for correcting me on the Tottenham Court Road station name! Great to know that it's modernized. I was originally leaning hard toward a Premier Inn but now think for 6 days, having a kitchenette would be nice.
Old Sep 8th, 2023, 11:50 AM

I'm afraid I am not going to be terribly helpful as I haven't stayed at any of these properties but recommend emailing hotels directly that you may be interested in. They should be able to be helpful regarding stairs and lifts. Also, occasionally there are rooms available that aren't listed on their websites.

Have you considered the Citadines apartments? I've thought of booking them for future trips.
Old Sep 8th, 2023, 11:57 AM

Before choosing anywhere I would double check that TFL will allow a “motorised scooter” on the tube. Electric scooters are certainly banned due to a number of batteries exploding and causing fires. Whether there are exceptions for mobility scooters I don’t know . Best to make surr
Old Sep 8th, 2023, 08:39 PM

Whew - what a day -- finally got a chance to read the whole post. Many tube stations do have lifts and I would try to stick to those. I personally would not want to lug a scooter (even a small one) on a busy Underground escalator. You must stand to the right side of the step and nust leave the left side free because most people will be rushing/practically running up the left hand side. They are serious with the 'Stand on the right' signs every 8 feet the whole length of the escalator (some of which are three stories in one shot) and blocking the left side is more than frowned upon. The TFL website has lots of info about step free and accessible stations. I have an old TR about a week in London when was using a knee brace and cane. London 'Tube-less', Fine dining, Fun excursions plus a GTG

Its kinda long and maybe not everything will be helpful but there is a fair amount of practical info about touring with mobility issues. In a week I traveled by tube (with lifts only), buses, Cabs, the DLR (light rail) and mainline trains all in London.

Except for the historic routemaster types, buses all 'kneel' so you will find them easy to use. And definitely consider Black Cabs (they can be any color/colour) but are the traditional British taxies. They all hold 5 passengers and there is probably room for the scooter since you say it is small. But if not it will fit up front next to the driver. Cabs are expensive - sure -- but divided by 5 they are downright economical. And a HECK of a lot easier than some other transport

Last edited by janisj; Sep 8th, 2023 at 08:43 PM. Reason: typos
Old Sep 9th, 2023, 01:32 AM

Electric scooters are not allowed on the underground. If you are getting around by bus/taxi, I wouldn't go for the Holland Park location. Though it is a lovely area it will take too long to get to the main tourist sites by bus or taxi.
Old Sep 9th, 2023, 04:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Janisj mentioned the correct name because London has lots of places with very similar names but in very different parts of the city, this is Europe's biggest city and it has grown up over 2000 years so precision counts.
Old Sep 9th, 2023, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all. Crellston/Tulips, the tfl website says that some motorized scooters are allowed on the tube, buses and in some taxis. I emailed them with a photo of her foldable version to see if it qualifies. That will help us plan accordingly.

Janisj, glad you made it through your busy day and thanks for sharing your trip report, just started and will read thoroughly. Good to know that some escalators are fast-moving.

Sounds like consensus is that one of the two suite hotels would be most ideal from this list, for us.
Old Sep 9th, 2023, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Tulips
Electric scooters are not allowed on the underground. If you are getting around by bus/taxi, I wouldn't go for the Holland Park location. Though it is a lovely area it will take too long to get to the main tourist sites by bus or taxi.
Oh -- I didn't know they were entirely prohibited, good to know. Thanks. Makes sense.

stephpaige: That being said -- now knowing you cannot take the scooter along on the tube -- you don't have to limit yourselves to accommodations convenient to any particular Underground station. Since Taxis and buses will have to be your main mode of transport I'd want to stay as central/near major roads as possible. Definitely north of the river. Your #3 and #4 locations would still be good - #3 St Pancras isn't quite as central but definitely ticks the major roads and cabs boxes.

IF you're up for more searching - maybe you could find something in your budget in / near the area of Covent Garden/Leicester Sq/Trafalgar Sq/the Strand, or Victoria, or Westminster or other really central neighborhoods. But The place near Tottenham Court Rd would be just fine . . .

(BTW - transport in the TR I linked would still work for you since I only took a couple of tube trips)
Old Sep 9th, 2023, 08:12 AM

OH I didn't see your last post . . . Tottenham Court Rd would be fine.

"Good to know that some escalators are fast-moving."

It isn't that they are all the fast moving -- it is they can be extremely crowded and you cannot stand two abreast. You must stand single file allowing a stream of other passengers to dash up/down next to you. But as Tulips said -- its a non issue since apparently the scooter isn't allowed at all.

Last edited by janisj; Sep 9th, 2023 at 08:16 AM.
Old Sep 9th, 2023, 04:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also on London buses I think they allow a maximum of two things on wheels - such as prams, wheelchairs etc. So sometimes you may have to wait for the next bus. The other thing (sorry if this sounds negative but best to know before you travel) is some batteries are banned on planes. It would depend on the airline, size and type of battery. What type of battery is in the mobility scooter?

I agree with posters above that a black cab might be easiest, especially sharing the cost between five people. I've read about a black cab tour in London, that might be good. If interested, I'll try and find where I read about it.
Old Sep 9th, 2023, 10:19 PM

Just another point, in the UK you can rent a two wheel scooter for use on the road, but you cannot use a scooter on the pavement. That doesn't mean you will not see them being used on the pavement but they are illegal.
Old Sep 9th, 2023, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by bilboburgler
Just another point, in the UK you can rent a two wheel scooter for use on the road, but you cannot use a scooter on the pavement. That doesn't mean you will not see them being used on the pavement but they are illegal.
For anyone needing a translation . . . UK Pavement = US Sidewalk

(I'm sure the OP isn't talking about a 2 wheeled scooter but a 3 or 4 wheeled mobility scooter)

Last edited by janisj; Sep 9th, 2023 at 11:28 PM.
Old Sep 10th, 2023, 02:29 AM

good point, the OP needs to search on tfl using mobility in the search
Old Sep 10th, 2023, 02:50 AM

An extract from the TFL site

"Wheelchairs and mobility scootersYou can use wheelchairs and some mobility scooters on many services, including buses, Tubes, trains and trams and some boats including Thames Clippers.

Mobility scooters can't be taken on some boats, taxis or the IFS Cloud Cable Car.

On almost all buses, the wheelchair ramp is located at the exit door (in the middle of the bus)."

The use of the word "some" is not especially helpful! I think the problem may be, that even if a particular scooter is allowed , some TFL staff at stations may take some convincing.

Bring a wheelchair or renting one on arrival may make more sense/be less hassle.

The link to that site
https://tfl.gov.uk/transport-accessi...%20Cable%20Car.
Old Sep 10th, 2023, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Tulips
Originally Posted by bilboburgler
Now it seems you may have been talking about the sort of scooters bilboburger mentioned. The OP is talking about a mobility scooter -- not a 2-wheeled recreational scooter. I was surprised that they might not be allowed on the tube and it seems they actually are. But my warning about trying to take one folded up on Underground escalators still stands - they would only work in stations with lifts.
Old Sep 10th, 2023, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by KayF
Also on London buses I think they allow a maximum of two things on wheels - such as prams, wheelchairs etc. So sometimes you may have to wait for the next bus. The other thing (sorry if this sounds negative but best to know before you travel) is some batteries are banned on planes. It would depend on the airline, size and type of battery. What type of battery is in the mobility scooter?

I agree with posters above that a black cab might be easiest, especially sharing the cost between five people. I've read about a black cab tour in London, that might be good. If interested, I'll try and find where I read about it.
Wheelchairs/mobility scooters have precedence over prams, *theoretically*

Also tflguidetoapprovedmobilityscooters.pdf (it's from 2012, but the approved mobility aid card scheme is still a thing and you might want to consult and apply. It has nothing to do with batteries, but with the size of the mobility aid. That's why motorized wheelchairs often do fit, but mobility scooters don't.

Last edited by menachem; Sep 10th, 2023 at 08:33 AM.
Old Sep 10th, 2023, 08:43 AM

"Wheelchairs/mobility scooters have precedence over prams, *theoretically*"

That would be a fun conversation /s. "take your kids off so I can get my wife on" hhmm
Old Sep 10th, 2023, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Menachem, that list is great, I asked my MIL to send me the make/model of her mobility scooter (correct to everyone who indicated that is what I mean, and not the stand-upon ones that non-disabled people use to zip around some cities). I also emailed TFL. I know they took the same scooter to Paris and used it fine on the pavement/sidewalk, buses and taxis...honesty not sure if they took the metro. Of course that's an entirely different country, but I think that explains why they thought it would be OK to bring to London as well. She also has a non-motorized folding walker with wheels that is also an option if the mobility scooter proves to be too difficult.

KayF we loved out Black Cab tour in Belfast and I did look at a similar company in London called Black Taxi Tours. It seemed that they just drove you past sites kind of like the HoHo bus vs. the Belfast one where the driver told engaging stories and we stopped a few times, but I could be completely wrong about that and it may merit another look.

Janisj, Westminster was my first choice area since I stayed there with my daughter at St Ermin's on my last trip and loved it, plus I collect Marriott points and am platinum so usually get an upgrade. It's out of budget for us though - max we'd like to spend for 2 rooms total would be $4000-4500 USD or about 3200-3600 GBP. I am checking regularly though for specials that might pop up!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -