Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Etihad offering 50% extra cash value on vouhers

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2020, 12:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Etihad offering 50% extra cash value on vouhers

Hi All

Etihad is now offering 50% extra cash value on vouchers bought b/w June 10 - 24 , meaning that if you bought a voucher worth USD1,000/ , you can spend USD1,500/.

Validity of voucher is 2 years

I do understand that Etihad's offer is to raise cash for their company and i don't think that Etihad would go bankrupt, though these are tough times for all airlines.

My main question is "Is it worth to buy this voucher"

Others questions are, can these vouchers be used to buy

1. SALE tickets which are offered by Etihad

2. Partially i.e in 2-3 installments

3. Tickets bought from these vouchers can be cancelled/changed/refunded with a fee

4. tickets for some other friend or relative or any other person

Thanks
Old Jun 12th, 2020, 07:27 AM

Only you can assess the risk factor for your wallet and your family, but I would not be buying any travel vouchers, even good for two years, right now. The travel future is not yet at all clear.
Old Jun 12th, 2020, 10:22 AM

Abu Dhabi is not an interesting destination to most travelers, though you could fly there to visit Dubai. Etihad already has to compete with Qatar and Emirates for connecting pax. The airline might fly to an airport near you now, but the route could get cut. Or they may cut the destination that you are interested in.

Have you flown Etihad a lot? Ever? When you shop for a ticket are their sale fares competitive with other airlines?

Buying a voucher (i.e. loaning money to Etihad) would be placing a bet and you could lose all of it. Instead of gambling you will probably be better off investing in LUV stock. It could be up 60% a year from now.

Here is some info:

Etihad Airports reports $870 mn loss in 2019; airline says result 'encouraging' after losing billions in recent years. Mar 5, 2020

Etihad Airways posted a loss of $1.28 billion in 2018, extending the deficit over three years to $4.8 billion, as the Gulf carrier pushes ahead with a cost-cutting plan to stabilize the balance sheet. ... Etihad's discontinued routes last year included Tehran, Dallas/Fort Worth and Ho Chi Minh City.Mar 15, 2019
Old Jun 18th, 2020, 07:11 AM

Now if you are sure you want to fly that airline within the next few months or maybe year, I could see maybe buying it if you are really sure you would go anyway. Because then whatever fares are at that time is irrelevant if you would buy the ticket even without this "voucher". As far as the questions go, aren't you the one considering the purchase? You should read the terms yourself. Sounds to me it's just a credit on your acct and you could spend it on whatever you want. It's just a dollar credit I can use on anything. Their website specifically says you can use it to book tickets for others. But if you are considering it, call and ask if you can use it on any ticket, sounds like it.

If you are so tight for money that it is a concern that you'd need to pay for an air ticket in installments (one of your questions), I'd suggest you not do this. I don't think that is ever a normal way to buy an airline ticket so I'd say no.

50 pct return on investment (really less given the time involved and opportunity costs) is good, but there are other ways to invest your money since that is basically the issue here, how to make money on an investment

I don't even know that coronavirus is the issue here, I would seldom do something like that unless it was an airline I flew all the time and knew I would again. Maybe when you want to go, some other airline has better fares anyway, stuff like that.

I would vote NOT SURE thus in your poll but somehow doesn't seem to work, it won't let me c.lick one
Old Jun 29th, 2020, 10:22 PM
Original Poster

Thank you to the Forum for their suggestions

I finally decided not to BUY

Thank you again